OFF: scanning LP cove

Mark Edmonds edmondsm.brbs at EMS.RAIL.CO.UK
Mon Feb 8 12:13:00 EST 1999

From: Mark Edmonds
Date: 1999-02-08 17:13

> My question is therefore whether anyone knows of any foftware which
> would take multiple overlapping scans, match the overlaps by the magic
> of programming, and produce the whole piccie again. Seems to me that it
> shouldn't be so hard to do.
>
> Answers on a postcard to...
>
> FoFP

I've used ImagePals to do "stitching" in the past but unless you have
mega-MBs of RAM, it takes simply ages and then confused the intensity of the
image in the over-lapping areas so the over-lapped area appeared too bright.
Still, usable but slow.

Nowadays, I use Corel Photo Paint (you should be able to get version 6 nice
and cheap and despite a few bugs, its pretty good). There isn't a direct
stitch function in this package but you can use the object functions to
merge two images and then move them around to match the join. I've scanned
some >A4 size documents using an A4 scanner and merged them into a single
image so that I can only tell where the join is because I know where it is.
No, its not automatic and requires a bit of patience but the results are
good.

Mark