BOC: A mention on the telly

Tue Feb 9 08:23:50 EST 1999

Just in case it's not clear to anybody outside the UK, these mentions are
not intended as a homage to BOC - quite the opposite, in fact.  On _I'm Alan
Partridge_, it was to show how horribly, desperately unhip Radio Norwich is;
and Smashy and Nicey are grotesque parodies of old fart radio presenters who
haven't been remotely fashionable since about 1973.  Their favourite song is
Bachman-Turner Overdrive's "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet".  (That said, there
was a Smashy and Nicey CD of their favourite records, which was actaulyl
quite decent - "Reaper", "Silver Machine" - I think - and a few other
classics.)

Alan's own taste in music is very dodgy.  In one episode, he tried to
impress his secretary by singing along to a tape of Steeleye Span's
"Gaudete" in his car ("this'll blow your socks off"), and another time he
told the tale of his irresponsible youth when he went to see ELO at the
Birmingham NEC ("come back, ELO, and play all night!").

It's a great show, by the way.  A _Fawlty Towers_ for the nineties.

- Andy

ObCD: Godspeed You Black Emperor! - _F#A#_