HW: Emperors New Clothes

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Feb 9 12:58:15 EST 1999

> From:          J Strobridge <eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK>
> > Too right. Part of the difficulty that HW have is that their core
> > audience of travellers/hippies/students is now fragmented. Without
> > an audience they don't have any income so they have to adapt to
> > find a new audience. Yet in adapting they lose the heart of their
> > music which is improvised space-rock.
>
> I would personally say that some of the trance stuff they did during the
> height of the rave scene was phenomenal and gathered a whole new young
> generation of audience - the age range of the audience for a while was
> extraordinary.    Not sure what it would be like today - it's been a
> long time between live shows and a year is a very long time in the music
> business!

And we've made similar observations about BOC in the past as well.
Most of the BOC backers on this list are youngsters, many of whom
never even saw Al or Joe in the group.  And at recent gigs, there are
plenty of young'uns present, who are familiar with the HF material...

theo