HW/BOC: Emperors New Clothes

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Feb 9 14:26:21 EST 1999

> From:          Bolts of Ungodly Vision <js3619 at WIZVAX.NET>
> At 01:58 PM 2/9/99 EDT, you wrote:
> >And we've made similar observations about BOC in the past as well.
> >Most of the BOC backers on this list are youngsters, many of whom
> >never even saw Al or Joe in the group.  And at recent gigs, there are
> >plenty of young'uns present, who are familiar with the HF material...
>  Yeah, but I bet that theyay to themselves "WOW! I can't believe theyre
> playing "ETI" /"Before the Kiss" !!" heh. I never understood why ETI has
> stuck so long in the setlists of the group. I can see before the kiss,
> because it gives everyone a chance to stretch out and give a good bass
> break which is always good.

Right!  I've NEVER been a big fan of that song, and it amazes me how
it's endured.  I think it's one of the tunes the current band somehow
'owns,' reflected also by its inclusion on Cult Classic...

> Being a semi-youngster myself, it is coooool to see Buck lash out with
> sonic oblivion on the 6 strings. But at the shows I have been to recently,
> the intensity that OYF reflects from them bygone days at is only hinted at
> now.

Yes and no.  The furious abandon of the old days is something to
hear, no denying that.  But the quality of BD's gtr playing is way
beyond what he did in the old days.  Balanced against EB's less
powerful voice of today vs. his old stage stalking menace and humor.
So, the guitar player in me prefers current shows, but the BOC fan in
me likes the old days.  But above all, the Flaming Telepaths of today
is about as good as BOC has ever been!

theo