OFF: Monster Magnet

Wed Feb 10 03:51:19 EST 1999

On ons 10 feb 1999 01.34 +0000 andrew <andrew at DELUMINATE.FREESERVE.CO.UK>
wrote:
> what are Monster Magnet like these days? i ve got superjudge which i think
> is okay and tab 25 which i think is just _so_ fuckin cool, but have no
idea
> what else they've done..

     The follow-ups to _Superjudge_ are _Dopes to Infinity_ and last
years _Powertrip_.  The production has become increasingly slick in
Wyndorf's (entirely successful) attempt to give the band broader
appeal.  Opinions vary (I like the new stuff, plenty of others
don't) but long sprawling sludgefests like "25 ... Tab" you definitely
won't find!  Wyndorf seems to be zooming off (or perhaps further) into
some kind of rock-star ego-land, though, and it's unclear whether the
band will survive that.

     _Powertrip_ has certainly garnered record sales and popular
accalim though.  I was stunned to hear _Metal Hammer_ magazine
(UK) had made it their album of the year.

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson