OFF: Roky, was HW: Emperors, now Monster Magnet

Wed Feb 10 07:27:26 EST 1999

> >It' called "Never Say Goodbye"; it says on the sticker on the front:
> >
> >Lo fidelity field recordings of never before heard songs, mostly
> from 1971
> >and 1974.  All proveeds benefit the Roky Erickson Trust.
> >
> >I'll let you know what it's like!

OK, I've heard it now - having been warned about "lo fi", it's not as rough
a recording as all that - pity it's not a bit cleaner, but nothing's perfect
eh.

It's mostly solo acoustic - if you've got The Holiday Inn Tapes, you know
roughly the sort of thing you're in for.  Some tracks were recorded in
hospital, some at home, some live for radio, so the fidelity varies.  The
inner notes say, "we thought a long time about whether to make them
available, but ultimately we thought their beauty outshined their modest
fidelity."  Which is about right.

- Andy