HW: JAP for the JavaScript impaired

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Feb 10 07:03:04 EST 1999

> From:          Doug Pearson <ceres at SIRIUS.COM>
>
> ... and it looks to me like a short-scale bass (as were the Gibson
> SG-shaped ones - were those EB3's?, but it's not quite the right shape, I
> don't think).  Some Alembics were short-scale, too, weren't they?  Although
> again, I can't imagine Lemmy playing one (but I can barely imagine him
> playing anything other than a Ric 4001/4003).

I don't know a lot about Alembics [though I do know that one J.
Bouchard used to play one in a certain rock band for a while] but
since they're essentially custom-made instruments, getting a
short-scale model shouldn't be a problem.  Gibson had both short and
normal scale SG-shaped basses.  Short scale was pretty much standard
for Gibson.  The long scale models were identified by the letter 'L,'
such as EB3-L, or EBO-L.  Pretty sure Jack Bruce used a shorty in
Cream...Ade Shaw played a Gibson when I saw him in Bevis Frond, not
sure if it was long or short...

theo