HW: Anthology liner notes (was Re: passports & such)

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Feb 10 16:10:59 EST 1999

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:11:06 -0000, Marshall Wood <mwood at MY-DEJANEWS.COM>
wrote:

>I picked up _Acid Daze Vol. 2_ (Receiver Records RRCD 126) on Monday for
US$8.  So I finally heard "Douglas in the Jungle" for the first time.
Sheesh!  I was a little disappointed that there wasn't much in the way of
liner notes or track details.  Now I know that this material has been
packaged & re-packaged a dozen times - what's the best format to buy it in,
in terms of liner notes/pictures/details/etc.?  Volume 3 is also available
at the same store for the same price, but if the packaging is as cheap as
the Vol 2 CD, then I'll pass until I find a better release.  Any thoughts?

The only version that came with liner notes was the picture-disc bag-set
version, which is now an out-of-print vinyl-only Kollektors item.
Fortunately, the complete liner notes (well-written by Brian Tawn, and very
informative) are available On-Line at Sonique's HW site:

ftp://ftp.pcmicro.com.au/pub/sonique/Anthology

I think there are actually a good number of tracks that make the
Anthology/Acid Daze (whatever) worth picking up (if you don't already have
them on the Weird tapes or various Friends & Relations releases) -

"We Do It" (one of HW's top BLANGA moments)
"Motorhead" (I like Simon House & Nik Turner, but the sax & violin on the
original version just don't do it for me; Dave's synths are just what the
doktor ordered!)
The Watchfield Festival jam
Sonic Assassins' "Magnu"/"Angels of Death"
the live "Quark, Strangeness & Charm" (yeah! Ade Shaw! Second-best bassist
HW ever had!)
"Ghost Dance" (although my favorite version is the one from Hawkfan 12, now
available on the 'Elf & Hawk' CD/double LP on Black Widow)

... probably the best version of Anthology/Acid Daze to get is one of the
ones that's a 2-CD set with all the stuff on it.  AFAIK none of them have
good packaging/liner notes, so I'd recommend going with whatever's
cheapest/most-easily obtainable.

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com