was HW: Emperors, now Monster Magnet

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Feb 12 13:07:00 EST 1999

Carl had suggested...

>     But, anyway, yes--I think spacerock will get more attention
>as a spacey adjunct of "heavy groove rock" (a term I like better
>than "stoner rock" or "doom metal")

First off, I don't think 'stoner rock' and 'doom metal' are one and the
same.  Monster Magnet/Fu Manchu/Nebula being the former, and Orange Goblin
and a whole slew of other bands I try to avoid being the latter.

And secondly, if I had heard someone come up to me and say they liked 'heavy
groove rock,' I would immediately think Red Hot Chili Peppers and not
Datura.  It don't matter to me whether there's a drug connotation with the
music that's being labelled thusly, and I say that being totally 'clean'
myself (well, for the last decade anyway).  I suppose you never liked 'acid
rock' either.  (Well, I never did either...but that was more because it
wasn't obvious just what sort of psychedelic bands (SF-type or
Hawkwind/krautrock-type) were being referred to...same with art rock,
perhaps the stupidest label).

Keith H. (FAA)