BOC: BOC/MC 5 connections?

Charlie Grant charlie.grant at LINEONE.NET
Sat Feb 13 11:59:41 EST 1999

For some reason I kept this:
Back a while there was a discusion about how Imaginos should have been a
three parter and
one of the tracks was going to be the Motor Cities Burning version of CoF -
Al posted the following: [Note - I thought the riff from CoF was taken from
Black Sabbath's 'The Wizard'.

        Cities On Flame was inspired by a song by the MC5 called "Motor
Citie's Burning" that I heard on a 45 back in the day. The style of it was
kind of a slow blues but very electric sounding, and kind of reverby. The
record was lost in one of my many moves since then and I haven't seen it on
any other record but my recollection of it was it was a pretty good sounding
cut, especially for the 5. After the Elektra record their stuff sonded
pretty
harsh. Anyway according to Sandy he got the idea for the "Cities" lyric from
that song. Lately I've been thinking that "Cities" might sound pretty heavy
given that kid of treatment.
        I've been listening to the MC5 a lot lately and I noticed some
parallells with BOC's second record. Both sound very trebly and light but
with
BOC the agression still came through. There was a train of thought in those
days that this trebly sound was good. People may think the same thing about
the popularity of the "grunge" sound these days. But also certain speakers
used in the studio were popular which may not have been that accurate. There
wasn't so much concern with "How is this sound going to translate on home
systems?". I think for any reissued to really sound hi-fi and immediate they
would have to be remixed and that could be a big can of worms. Oh well. Even
my cassette copy tapes of the Elektra record sound quite good. Brian Ross-
Myering was the engineer and he was hot having just done the first Chicago
record which was riding the charts at the time. Let's hope they come out.
Cheers,
Al