OFF: DAS LUDICROIX....the band/the premise....a "DASCOGRAPHY"...heh...

Fri Feb 19 05:37:34 EST 1999

On fre 19 feb 1999 01.45 +0000 DASLUD at aol.com wrote:
> oh yes, rocked it did...and bassist mike "previously unconsidered uses for
> shampoo bottles and light bulbs" chesk was lost more often than he was
on....

     Luckily, there's not to far one can wander dangerously in
"Ejection".  Playing it was a considerable relief to me as that
was exactly the second time I'd played guitar in the company of
people who knew what the hell they were doing.  At least I could
slash away at the Ejection chords and know more or less that I
was playing something which sounded approximately like it was
supposed to :)

> the party which produced "buzz bomb" was originally scheduled to be a gig
for
> my revived 'real' band, DISARRAY, as i was supposedly on the hawkwind '95
us
> tour crew (as was guitarist ian souther) and wouldnt be around for a
> previously-scheduled DISARRAY gig.
> WELL>>>>>
> earlier that week the HW crew assembled in mass. was confirmed/hired, and
then
> dumped, on consecutive days by doug smith, in favor of a crew from
> ohio...ahem...who had their own truck. (if memory serves...). the day
after
> THAT a certain bitter phone call put an abrupt end to DISARRAY. heck of a
week
> it was...but there was still gonna be a party, requiring SOME kinda show
to go
> on, as they say...

     Ah, yes.  I remember Chris Bruce talking about you guys getting
pissed about with by HW management.  I think I saw Disarray or
something like it at some party in '94.  The jam afterwards was
the _first_ time I played with people who knew what they were doing :)
Must have been '94 since I only had my little red Charvette guitar
then.

> the best of that night is the DAS LUDICROIX cassette release "BUZZ BOMB",
> with a mostly-3-guitar attack, including the crunchy rhythm and brockian
leads
> of one CARL ANDERSON....

     Huh!  More like Carl going "Ye gods!  I'm surrounded by
people who can play their instruments.  I'm gonna get my ass
kicked."  Thus, lean on wah pedal and noodle, and retreat into
rhythm power-chord chopping when all else fails :)
     My primary perception was of Ian Souther being pretty much
on fire, playing through some amp which looked like the bastard
off-spring of an old stereo and a hair-dryer.  Ian can really
let it rip.

> "MOON HEALING ACTIVATION', a 90 minute release {...} was compiled
> from the DAS LUDICROIX shows of july, september, and october '95

     I remember some outdoor party where there was another drummer
with a stupendous amount of kit, and a guitarist who came with
him and knew what he was about (and yet another guitarist who
almost had to be physically restrained from playing the Dead's
"Fire on the Mountain" riff every 10 minutes ;)
     And I remember an indoor jam in Sudbury which quite horrified
me as _no_ other guitar players turned up.  No else behind which
to hide!  Goldangit, that was a bastard :)

     I vaguely recall Scott saying you hadn't been happy with
the sound on a lot of those recordings--I guess you rescued
some.  Must hear them sometime! The sound on Buzzbomb is pretty
damn good, I think.  Especially considering the somewhat battered
nature of the "recording console" :)

     Ah, those were the days.  I've seldom had so much fun as
at those jams.  The jams I've organized in Cambridge just haven't
been in the same space.

Cheers,
Carl

--