OFF: Quake and Savatage

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Mon Feb 22 13:36:31 EST 1999

>Fistful of Alice?  Cooper or In Chains?  Can you clarify for me. Thanks.

>That would be Cooper. Live from Sammy Hagar's Cabo joint... Slash, Rob
Zombie and Sammy put in guest appearances. Not bad stuff but, I miss the old
Cooper band almost as much as I miss the original BOC line up (am I living
in the past or what?)

Thanks for clearing that up.  Naw you're not living in the past, Alice has
played with some great players.

                >Heard some good things about Half-Life and will be trying
that one soon I
                >hope.  HL uses the basic Q2 engine so I'm intrigued.

            >    Can't say enough about this game. Couldn't stop playing
till
I finished. The only down side was the final few levels and the ending which
I found disappointing. But the rest of the game is beyond belief. I felt
like I was playing a movie... and the multi-player is a blast as well,
especially with the recently patched in team play.

I recently DL'ed the demo and some patches but the damn thing won't run very
well on this system.  Its like watching a slide show.  Have a Compaq
notebook.  Its a 150 mgh with 32 mg RAM.  Just not souped enough for these
new games I guess.

>Ah a kindered spirit.  I like the earlier Sav music, Dungeons,. Power of
                >Night the really agressive stuff.  I've tried Wake and Dead
Winter Dead but
                >they don't really start the adrenaline.

>I have on tape a really old one called Sirens (I believe.. that's the first
track anyway..) which I just love. I also like the one (I'm shitty at
remembering album names) with "Hall of the Mountain King" on it... If that
stuff doesn't get you pumped, you're dead or in a coma... I tried a later
effort, again I forget the title, it was supposed to be an opera ala
"Operation: Mind Crime", featuring Jesus Jones the drug dealer or some
such.. I didn't like it at all and haven't tried anything else from them
since. Its too bad since the other two I have from them are some of my
favorite metal ever.

OK I'll help ya out here as I am a Savafanatic.  Little shaky on the order
of the first two as they were releaesed from vault tapes on Metal Blade
Records.  Not sure which is first chronologically.

1. Sirens
2. The Dungeons Are Calling (ya like sirens you'd LOVE THIS ONE!)
3. Fight For The Rock (too hit oriented for me, but a couple good songs)
4. Power Of the Night (didn't like this one at first but man has it grown on
me.)
5. Hall of The Mountain King (Has the song Stange Wings, sounds like Al and
BOC circa T&M era)
6. Gutter Ballet (Awesome disc.)
7. Streets a Rock Opera (some great songs but the order just isn't quite
right.  Songs should be heard individually.  My sig comes from this album
"Ghost in The Ruins")
8. Edge of Thorns (sentimental fave.  First album for Zak Stevens on vox,
and the last album Guitarist Cris Oliva made before his death)
9. Handful of Rain ( Title track is one of the great all time rock tunes.
Throw it in with Freebird, Stairway to Heaven, Smoke on the Water and
Astronomy)
10. Dead Winter Dead (Theme album about the war in Bosnia, excellent
symphonic rock).
11. Wake of Magellan ( another theme piece, a shade below DWD in quality)

Numbers 1 - 6 are all the same style wise.  Though with numbers five and six
you can hear trhe origins of the new symphonic sound. Now if you have heard
of Tran Siberian Orchestra and their two Christmas albums , well thats
Savatage also.  They use a different name for those efforts.  If you see an
album called Dr. Butcher GET IT!  Has the early Sirens/Dungeons sound to it,
excellent for fraggin'.  Sav co-founder Jon Oliva's side project.

                >Man that sucks.  The last BOC show I saw at Jaxx a man was
there with his son who couldn't have been more than 13.

>They never seem to do anything but club dates in my area... Haven't seen
them outdoors since the late 70's when they did a huge stadium show with ZZ
Top, Cheap Trick and UFO here. Luckily, they have banned smoking in all bars
here in Ca. I would've bitched about this a year ago but now that I've quit
smoking (after 27 years!) I'm glad. Still can't bring my kid to a show but
at least I won't have to breath smoke all night.

I'm holding out hope that I can take my guys to see BOC outdoors this
summer.  They really want to see Buck Play.

Thanks
Ghost In the Ruins