HW: MotU cover and Monster Mag

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Feb 22 15:45:56 EST 1999

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:54:53 +0000, Carl Edlund Anderson
<cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK> wrote:

>On sön 21 feb 1999 23.00 +0000 "Chuck Rosenberg" <Chuckrecs at AOL.COM> wrote:
>
>> 2. Vertigo -- Same, on Amphetamine Reptile, pretty heavy, distorted guitar
>> punk 3-piece, w/a pretty straight-forward cover of "MotU". Sounds like they
>> could be British. Again, I'm not really into this, so if anyone wants it,e-
>> mail...
>
>     Band name sounds familiar ... is Amphetamine Reptile the label?

Yeah, that's the one.  I like the version of MotU - real straight-ahead,
chunky rock.  They're actually from St. Paul, Minnesota.  Don't know if
they're still around.  Ironically, the one time that I got to see them play
"Master of the Universe", the opening band was TrashCanSchool, still (I'm
pretty sure) in the original lineup, which included Paul Fox on bass, who
later played with Pressurehed, Farflung and Nik Turner (with whom he played
... "Master of the Universe"! How 'bout that?).  I'd suspect that any
Vertigo records still in the stores are at budget prices these days, since
they never really matched the promise of their AMAZING debut single, "Two
Lives".  As I recall, that one came out at about the same time as Monster
Magnet's "Lizard Johnny", and those were two of my top 7"s for whatever
year that was ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com