HW: skint but richer

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Jan 6 17:30:17 EST 1999

Well I went on a quick visit to Hull and wandered into a most excellent
shop called Andy's Records where it took approximately 5 minutes for my
purse to become several dozen pounds lighter than it was before I went
in  8-(  !

Ah well - nice shop - very nice shop and if anyone is in the area I
recommend it highly - he knows his music and was recommending best buys
like Hawkwind and Jane's Addiction and other excellent stuff.

Anyhow I've collected some Calvert CDs so if anyone is still looking for
stuff they don't have I can offer you:

        Robert Calvert at the Queen Elizabeth Hall
        Robert Calvert Blueprints from the Cellar
        Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters

And seeing the Live Chronicles 2CD I collected that for myself.   The
first CD seems to be a reissue of the original GWR version although I
haven't played it yet to check and the bonus CD consists of a
compilation of tracks froms the 80s: Magnu/ Quark Strangeness and Charm/
Spirit of the Age/ Who's Gonna Win the War/ Ghost Dance/ Master of the
Universe/ Choose Your Masques/ Lost Chronicles/ Tides/ Wings/ Lives of
Great Men/ Void ofGolden Light/ Techno Tropic Zone Exists/ Gimme Shelter

Somebody called Robert Corich has done a brief listing on the inner
foldout sleeve to say which albums these tracks have come from with a
short info piece on each.    The foldout is the Live Chronicles sleeve
art but with better printing, nicely done and the CDs have got a close
up of the clock face from the cover art to make them into pic discs and
they look pretty neat.   I'd never realised that the clock was at
midnight and you could see a mushroom cloud forming!

There's also a short spiel from Dave Brock dated 1998 reiterating the
plan for a project between Mike Moorcock and Hawkwind on Mike
Butterworth's Ledge of Darkness.

I also found what appears to be the Nik Turner/Sphynx "Xitintoday" CD
(NIKTCD333) which I assume is the original Sphynx reissue.    Haven't
played it yet but it looks hopeful!

So - that was my Festive Season - Happy New Year to one and all!

jill
J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk