OFF/HW/BOC: Sleep & HW & Astronomy, various

Wed Jan 13 05:37:47 EST 1999

--On tis 12 jan 1999 20.55 -0500 "Paul Mather" <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU>
wrote:

> Carl writes:
>
> =>      _Jerusalem_ is officially out.  I've not heard it, but one of
> => my friends has and says its gawd-awful :)  So ... mileage may vary!
>
> I have to admit the recent hagiography coming across BOC-L for Sleep has
> been a tad puzzling for me, since I almost gave up on the stoner genre
> entirely after buying _Sleep's Holy Mountain_, which I found has little
> to redeem it, IMHO.  (Did I really read the phrase "critically
> acclaimed" in regard to that album, or was it just a dream [nightmare]?)

     There are plenty of "stoner" (awful term) bands I think are
damn good.  Having heard "Holy Mountain" ... I've heard worse, but
I don't think it deserves its rep at all!

     Still, the *trend* for "stoner" bands has done some definite
good.  I've convinced a few people from my uni's rock society
to check out Hawkwind on the strength of their proto-stoner
cred.  _Space Ritual_ and _Doremi_ enjoy a fair bit of respect
now, as does _1999 party_!  HW should clearly pack in the ambient
techno effort and reclaim the "kings of the low-end starfield"
crown.

     Actually, a number of the younglings have been into
Metallica's "Astronomy" cover, and I've just lent out 4 CDs
of BOC as well!

> NP: Gov't Mule, "War Pigs," 12/31/98

     Damn it!  I *need* this.  One good thing about going back
to the States for sure: get to see Gov't Mule again!

Cheers,
Carl

ObCD: Dark Sun, _Feed Your Mind_

--