HW: In My Area!!

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Jan 14 17:40:20 EST 1999

Hi Folks...

"In Your Area" has just become "In My Area," in fact, it's playing right as
I type.  I'm only up to "Hippy" (track 10), but it's pretty good so far.

The live material (NOT recorded at SD'97 as I had assumed, but rather from
Belgium) is fine (AerospaceAge Inferno the piece that makes it worthwhile),
but not too dissimilar from what we've all heard either in person or on Love
in Space etc.  (The Alchemy riff is a real winner also.)

So far, the new studio tracks are pretty neat as well.  I haven't figured
out the track indexing yet, so I can't be sure of what's what.  I'll try to
sort it all out by tomorrow and maybe post something more informative
(though that's already been done once).

The booklet is very nice...lots of colourful artwork and lyrics!  Done by
Rob Godwin himself, so he obviously put some time and effort into the
project, as it represents the re-emergence of the once great (and soon to be
again!) Griffin label.

OK, well, you'll all hear it soon enough, but let me be the first to
transcribe some of the lyrics (copied directly from the booklet), so that
the appropriate personnel can add it into the Codex...

Oh, and BTW, in the same order that arrived today, I had gotten a CD copy of
The Heads' "The Time is Now," and weird thing!!  They put two discs in the
jewel case..I'm assuming some machinery got stuck and gave me a free bonus.
Cool!!  So who wants to trade for a copy?  You won't get a booklet, but I'll
make a B&W Xerox for you.

OK, back to HW.  These of course need to be confirmed as actually what
appears on the album (I haven't even begun to check), and there may be more
there that isn't in the booklet.  (And there's a little bit of lyrics (?)
printed in the booklet for something called Eedeakaran, which I recognise as
being a bizarre way of spelling Ediacaran, which is a famous geological
formation that contains some of the earliest metazoan fossils.  The lyrics
suggest the same.  But anyway, there's no song with that title, or even
anything similar.  But they might appear somewhere.)

It's A Rat Race (Brock/Rizz)

Open up your eyes
It's time to realise
You're not the rat race
You're the human race
(repeat)
Everybody wants to live up on Mars,
but you can't even live in your own universe
So open up your eyes
It's time to realise
You're not the rat race
You're the human race
So leave the rat race
and join the human race
if you want love in space
then join the human race
and leave the rat race

I am the reptoid (Tree/Brock/Richards/Chadwick)

I am the reptoid
I suggest things in your sleep
Infiltrate your dreams
I am the reptoid
Tele-endoscopic eye into your brain
I see how you feel
I know why you exist
I am the reptoid
My scale is wet, my blood is cold
My claws invicerate the human bane
By the sewer-cide drain

I am the reptoid
Thermetically (sic) sealed
The bastard seed of an alien breed
Pneumatically released into your microcosm
Hey little boy, hey little girl,
hey Mum & Dad, hey Uncle Sam
I am the reptoid

Hawkwind In Your Area (Brock/Rizz)

I spy flying through the sky
Flying on a Rizz ship
Connected on a Hawkwind tip
Switching on your computers
with your super booster
Don't let technology rule your life
Satellites watching the aliens beam you up
Send you back a message in a bug
You just can't believe it when you unveil it
Telling you to jump up and shout
Jump up and down and swing yourself around

Hawkwind in your area, Hawkwind on your land
So jump up and down and swing yourself around
Hawkwind in your area, Hawkwind on your land

Don't let them rule you, Don't let them school you
You can rule your own self, you can rule your own mind
So jump up and down and swing yourself around
Hawkwind in your area, Hawkwind on your land

The Nazca (Brock)

Intelligent life is so rare
the rarest thing in creation
and the most precious
It is the only thing
that gives meaning to the universe
without it nothing begins and nothing ends

Hippy (Richards/Tree/Chadwick)

Hokmah the wisdom, Beenah understands
Tipharks beautiful, Malkut the kingdom
Malkut is a sun-king of creation,
Malkut is the one burning through the sun shining
World of lies from which we rise
Break the chain, end the pain
Space and time, human kind
Water combined the elemental mind.

Space, Time, Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus,
Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto,
Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Earth
Manifestation, manifest, elevate, animate,
generation, generate, elevate, procreation
Manifestation, elevation, animation, creation,
air-origination, fire-creation, water-formation,
earth immortalised.

Your Fantasy (Richards/Tree/Chadwick/Brock/Rizz)

Have you seen the magic things you read about in books?
Leprechauns, Goblins, Captains with hooks
Dupe Obeah and wizards round the fire
Witches in the wood fetching herbs for your desire
Pleasure - fantasy - desire
21st century and the legends live on
Come alive in the dark
And they walk in the shade