BOC: More Danny...

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Fri Jan 29 10:58:58 EST 1999

>I'm sure he could belt out a few numbers like Hot Rails to Hell

JS>Agreed, but don't hold your breath on that tune since Joe Bouchard wrote
it.  Sure, BOC still does some songs that were at least co-written by
the Bouchards, but that one is a Joe-only compilation, and one that Joe
sung.  The band hasn't done it (as far as I know) since Joe left in '86.

OK, but wouldn't this one sound nice in the classic BOC portion of the
setlist?

JS>I would also be suspicious of Buck and Eric of giving up any of the lead
vocal tasks.  Certainly lead vocals was always Eric's main function (which
is why his role in the band seemed so reduced in late '96 and '97 -- when
he couldn't sing as much.  Hey, I admit that Eric can play guitar and keys
as well, but he is and will always be considered BOC's lead vocalist first,
and an instrumentalist second).  And, I think Buck has gotten quite
comfortable handling a larger load of lead vocals.  I don't know that
Danny is necessarily ever going to get a shot at lead vocals -- unless
maybe he writes a killer song for the next BOC album that he sings and
then can convince the band to let him sing it live as well.

More truth.  I'm amazed as to how relaxed Buck appears on stage these days.
Gosh when I first saw them back in '75 he looked very uncormfotable, would
barely glance at the audience even when singing.

Eric, I'm very happy seeing him sing again.  Its weird but Al was always my
fave BOC vocalist yet Eric was always lead vox on my fave songs.  I can't
figure this out.

JS>PS:  BTW, the reason I believe Bolle referred to the current lineup as
"Two Oyster Cult", even though Danny's an established member is because
the "2" refers to ORIGINAL members.  I don't believe Danny (or Bobby for
that matter) is treated as a "hired hand" - although Buck and Eric seem
to have been in charge for the last 10 years.  But, I don't interpret
the "Two Oyster Cult" comment as a knock against Danny or Bobby --
besides, the band will be the first one's to say that Danny and Bobby
are full-fledged bandmembers.  "3OC" and "2 Oyster Cult" are names
given to them by us fans, not the band.

Point taken but its "us fans" who need to stop this practice.

George, Paul and Ringo on stage again would not be referred to as "the Bugs"

Dalton, Enwhistle and Townsend would not be "the What"

Van Zant died in a plane crash and there are other new members sprinkled
throughout but they are still Lynard Skynard

Has anybody changed personnel more than Hawkwind?  Nobody here refers to
them as "Breaking Wind"

The Brain Surgeons are not BOC, jr. they are simply the Brain Surgeons.

My point being while we may joke about 2OC and 3OC it really isn't very
flattering to the current lineup when we do this.  I'm not ragging anybody
and I have been guilty of using these terms myself.  From henceforth however
I will not do this anymore.  Instead I may refer to Buck, Eric and Alan as
"members of the original lineup" and Danny and Bobby as "memebers of the
current lineup".  As for 2OC and 3OC the late Robin Harris would say "Gotta
go, gotta go".

Soapbox returns to its place under the podium...

L8er
Ghost in the Ruins
OBCD - Triumph In Concert [KBFH release]