BOC: DFtR and Tidbits

Sen. Volstead antisol at SOFTHOME.NET
Thu Jul 1 22:39:27 EDT 1999

DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 7/1/99 4:43:35 PM, adrian.brevard at EDS.COM writes:
>
> <<
> <<Stairway to Heaven, per Zeppelin, is still an all time fave so I will not
> bash it>>
>
> to which DASLUD replies, having more or less recovered from last night's  5
> hour AOL crisis:
>
> werent exactly "bashin'" it so much as xpressing weariness over  having heard
> it so many , many times...
> but THEN there's the matter of  randy california's "taurus" from the first lp
> by spirit...zeppelin used to jam on the "fresh garbage" riff from that lp so
> page knew/had that lp,,,if you havent heard  "taurus" but  have access to it,
> you might be stunned at what zeppelin piece it apparently led to...and i aint
> talkin no neil sedaka!
> ===
> Don>> Hi again.  It's the new guy.
>
> <<Well you are new until you get caught in the cross fire of a flame war
> hehehehehe.  Haven't had one in a while, but that's a good thing.  Few years
> back they could get real ugly. >>
> ====
> a few YEARS back? try FEBRUARY/MARCH, comrade...if you're saying it's been
> uglier than what i crawled out from under (my bad, my bad, ENOUGH already!)
> I==DO==NOT==WANNA==KNOW.
> ====
> << Watch me start something.>>
> ===
> i know! how about styx vs rush!
> (ducking flying projectiles)

Have Styx been exhumed? has anyone else noticed the "buzz" going all around the
mass media about Mr Roboto? Its lyrics and music are appearing everywhere in
commercials and the such ('domo arigato' was quipped in a new hi-profile
commercial promoting e-business). It's also been a subject in several recent
conversations i've had.

The earliest  reference to the song (immediately before this surge began) that I
know of was in a May issue of  The Onion, in an article titled something like :
"Mr. Roboto (and some other song) Only Songs Not Yet Sampled By Rap Artists "
...Could this have actually started it?

i bet that, ironically, someone's doing a remix of it right now!