OFF: Patti Smith

Thu Jul 1 23:20:27 EDT 1999

Saw Patti Smith at the Forum, London, last night.  Very excellent she was,
too!

Last time I saw her, two or three years ago, she'd just made her comeback to
performing, and was rather endearingly bashful.  Not any more!  With a very
hard-rocking set, she was practically a rock chick - no poetry apart from
"Piss Factory" to open, and not afraid to do crowd-pleasers like "Because
the Night" or "Gloria".  The highlights for me were "Dancing Barefoot" and
"Free Money", and a song called "Persuasion" from the forthcoming album.
I've a feeling the next album could be her best in a long while.

She's playing a second night tonight, so if you're in striking distance, do
yourself a favour and see if you can get a ticket!

--Andy