BOC: Faves (Was: New to the List)

Fri Jul 2 11:33:40 EDT 1999

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 wrote:

> > From:          "Brevard, Adrian R" <adrian.brevard at EDS.COM>
> >
> > Are you kidding?  That was like female mud wrestling.  There are some old
> > timers who remember the "Smiley debate"
>
> Oh, man, I remember that one.  I was just joining the list when that
> happened...Dr. Bob--what became of him?  He was one funny dude!

        He got read-only banned, didn't he, as I recall? A bit upset when
he found out he wasn't the only Ph.D on the List but the others had been
too modest to use their titles...

        I'd just joined the list then too, and a better way to learn
netiquette fast than that I cannot imagine.

> or the great "coffee wars".
>
> Yep, another good one, but again, I think I missed most of that one.
> Curiously, they were from the same time period, weren't they?

        Just beforehand I think, because I missed it and it was still
being referred to with care when I joined - very confusing...

        I also remember the day somebody said something careless about
religion and then defended his viewpoint against _every_ _single_
counterpost (not mentioing any names). It generated 400K of e-mail in a
day, I was already over quota on my university account and as a result I
lost my e-mail for three days while I got it sorted out. That was fun :-)

        Of course, nowadays you can send that much in one file just by
accident... <watches Larry cringe> Kidding! Kidding! Yours,
                                                            Jon