HW: Hawkwind Stickers

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 2 14:46:00 EDT 1999

speaking of stickers...a story from my hippie traveling days...

the HW 'roadhawks' lp , when it first came out, came with a small round
"DOREMI" sticker...i carried it around for  awhile, wondering where to deploy
it; it finally found a place on a homemade bong made from a length of black
pvc pipe which i had  been given. this would be 1976...

one saturday night while standing by an on ramp of the new jersey turnpike en
route to connecticut, a police car came up and two cops got out. uh-oh...
usually cops wouldnt bother a hitchhiker on an on ramp, but it must've been a
slow night for these guys. they werent abusive, but clearly they enjoyed
having me dump out the contents of my backpack on the hood of their car.  in
their search they would find a gram of hashish and a very nice pipe my sister
had given me for my birthday a few weeks prior. these they confiscated
without arresting me..

 but when they got to the aforementioned bong, one of the cops handled it,
looked quizzically at me, and said "what's this? a musical instrument?". i
said nothing. he handed the bong back to me. i repacked my backpack and they
drove off.
i made it to my friend's house in ct.  early the next morning.

i would keep the 'hawkbong" until 1991, when it was taken in a police raid on
my house, caused by lies a housemate told a bar strumpet in order to get
horizontal with her., not knowing she was occasionally a police informant.
you know, you just havent lived until a gun gets stuck in your face and
you're escorted  face down onto the floor....but the joke was on the 14 cops
and a dog team who showed up that night, as my housemate had hardly been the
"#1 east coast cocaine dealer" as he'd told the strumpet. no cocaine, no
computer records...nope. but  that would be a story for another off-group
time, though.

bongs away!

"<>"