HW: Glastonbury 1981

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Jul 7 07:02:56 EDT 1999

[My memories of the Glastonbury '81 riot including a false memory New
Order playing after Hawkwind...]

> Hawkwind did play last.  New Order played before us and over ran.  We
> did 40-60 minutes of our set before the curfew kicked in.  We were
> asked very nicely by both Michael Evis and the police who were back
> stage if we would finish or else Michael risked heavy fines.  The
> laser display and the fireworks were ours we had some lasers during
> the set but were saving the best until the end and the fireworks never
> had a chance to happen.

Checked my copy of an audience tape of the event last night and sure
enough, after Brainstorm, Dave comes on and explains that they've gone
over the curfew and Michael Eavis has asked them to come off without an
encore.

ObKarma: In the audience chant at the end of the tape I can quite
clearly hear myself.  Unfortunately I can also hear myself whooping at
the start of Brainstorm.  The interesting thing is that it causes an
annoying drop in the recording level of the tape, indicating that the
person recording was very close.  I suspect that the NME reporter who
picked me up after I fell over (the flagon of farmer's scrumpy...) may
have been the guy doing the tape or possibly the recorder was lying on
the stage just above us.  Does anyone know the history of that audience
tape?

> Don't know what was in that

It's the Ciderspace Conspiracy.

FoFP