OFF: buying a soundcard

Andrew A. Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Wed Jul 7 13:48:19 EDT 1999

>I know that there are some PC music experts on this list so...
>
>I'm looking to buy a soundcard with a good A/D converter for input.
>
>So far the two which look good at a sane price are the Event Darla (275
Dollars) and
>the Turtle Beach Fiji (175 Pounds).

I have a Turtle Beach Montego AX3D Xstream.  It cost me $99 when I got it, it
has now been replaced by a newer card of theirs for about the same price, which
has a larger wavetable.

Nevertheless, it is a very good sound card, it has Aureal3D (A3D) full 3d
audio support via 2 speakers (the demos show off this effect, many games like
Freespace and Half-Life use it...

>The online specs don't list this but presumably all soundcards will come
>with onboard clips for connectors to a CD-ROM drive and hopefully a
>spare for the TV tuner card?

Well, my TV tuner card will take a CD-ROM passthru, at the cost of not having
seperate audio controls for each...

But yes, the Turtle Beach one I have (apparently lower end than the one you
are looking at, so I can only imagine yours would too)  has inputs for CD-Rom
as well as two auxilliary inputs, one of which I use with my TV tuner card
(an STB TVPCI thingamajig I somehow won randomly at ESPN.COM).

"My thinking is usually pretty good, but I seem
 to do it after I do my talking-- by which time
 I've generally destroyed all basis for further
 conversaton."
       Conrad Nikimos, "And call me Conrad"
                 by Roger Zelazny

Andrew Apold