Hawkwind festival plug on R1

Nick Lee nick.lee2 at VIRGIN.NET
Fri Jul 9 15:18:51 EDT 1999

David G wrote:
>This is a joke, right?  Mark Radcliffe????  (Cue sounds of crashing
>pre-suppositions)
>
>I don't suppose anyone has a tape of this?
>
>Dave
>
>NP: Buffalo Daughter - Shaggy Head Dressers

No shit.  Mark Radcliffe quite frequently played Hawkwind and sometimes Hawk
instrumentals were used as backings for the readings/recitals that minor pop
celebs would do on his evening show (my favourites of these, although not
using Hawk backings, were Noddy Holder reading reading Winnie the Pooh and
one of the Manic Street Preachers reading from Deke Leonard's autibiog).
Before I was listening to it I believe Richard C was interviewed after a
Manchester gig.   Other bands that have featured on his show in those days
(when the playlist was own), either in session or frequently played,
included the Ozrics, Ship of Fools, the Cardiacs and Bevis Frond.

I have a tape of the Hawk session but currently no facility for
tape-to-taping.  (one of the reasons I've not been in touch Bernhard -
sorry!).  I'm sure several people out there will have it.  Is it included on
the BBC Sessions CD that IMVS are still waitning to send me (still
unreleased, I assume), I wonder?

Nick