OFF: U. of Errors

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Jul 9 21:00:05 EDT 1999

Hi Folks...

For those on the west coast, check out this new joint project between the
cool SF improv band Mushroom and Gong's Daevid Allen.  Here's a bit of my
review of their debut album...the tour dates follow.

Daevid Allen's University of Errors - Money Doesn't Make It (1999)
innerSPACE 7707

A chance meeting between Gong's Daevid Allen and the members of Mushroom led
to the entirely spontaneous formation of 'The University of Errors.'
Literally days later, the tracks archived on "Money Doesn't Make It" were
recorded, and now less than a year later we can all enjoy the results of
this synergistic pairing.  The mixing of Daevid's unique word-play
compositions with the improvisational genius of Mushroom's core members has
produced a fine work of art, but one that also has a message and a heaping
of sly humor.  Daevid (it doesn't seem right calling him 'Allen') wasn't
blessed with the world's best singing voice, but here he puts on quite an
excellent vocal performance.  And even though there is no hint of
synthesizers (or keyboards of any kind) herein, it retains a truly cosmic
feel throughout.

I don't know where this union of Bay Area musicnauts and the 'Astral Alien'
will eventually lead, or even whether it will continue with regularity (the
planned live dates are a promising sign), but this is the strongest release
from the Gong family I've heard in a long while.  It's the kind of thing
though that certainly feeds on spontaneity - so I hope future efforts also
happen without any prior planning, as it seems to have worked wonders on
this debut effort.  Go out of your way to track this one down, if you can.
Contact:  innerSPACE, P.O. Box 411241, San Francisco, CA  94141

Keith H. (FAA)