HW: Books About Hawkwind

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Jul 13 12:12:46 EDT 1999

Nik Lowenberg writes:

> I was wondering how many biographical books about Hawkwind have been
> written (no, Time of the Hawklords doesn't count!).  I know there's Kris
> Tate's "This Is Hawkwind Do Not Panic", but what else is there?  What is
> the book "Born to Go" by David Watson?  Please, give me some info on what's
> out there.

There is a lot, but scattered, Hawkwind biography around.   Of the
two books you mention above Kris Tait's is the authorised biog.  Dave
Watson's is a Hawfan's view of the albums along with a historical and
social background as well as some band history.   It is extremely
readable and well worth trying to find - unfortunately I know that he
was only printing them in small batches on demand and had planned to
stop doing so by the end of last year so I don't think any have been
issued recently.

Both books however stop around the early 1980s and there are so far
no biographical books on modern Hawkwind although there are rumours that
something is in progress (see Adrian's mail for confirmation of this!).

The Acid Daze booklet gives a track by track background cum history
and there are several interviews in the Record Collector mags as well
as the interviews on http://www.hawkwind.com which are worth reading.
Incidentally, this website appears to have recently come back to life
again and was updated as recently as 28 June 1999.  Also, as someone
mentioned the Pete Frame family tree was brought up to the mid-1980s
or so.

There's plenty around but you need to go looking for it.  It'll be good
if someone has a chance to pull everything together!

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk