BOC: In Thee Lyrics

Andrew A. Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Tue Jul 13 13:09:01 EDT 1999

>I'm sure this has been hashed over before, but looking at the In Thee lyrics
>on Heaven Forbid, who is Jim ??
>
>"Jim says some destinies should not be delivered"
>
>Is this some slight Star Trek reference !?

It's in the FAQ....

I think it was Jim Carroll, or something like that, I think it
was a friend of Allen's...

lemme check... ah, here it is.   From the FAQ:

¦     Allen wrote several songs with Jim Carroll (who also co-wrote
¦"Perfect Water" on *Club Ninja*).  One of them, "Day and Night",
¦appears on Carroll's first album, *Catholic Boy*.  Allen plays
¦keyboards on this track, as well as on the song "I Want The Angel".
¦Another Lanier/Carroll collaboration, "Dance the Night Away"
¦(originally intended for *Agents Of Fortune*, but was rejected),
¦appears on Carroll's, *I Write Your Name*.  Allen is also featured on
¦keyboards throughout on Carroll's *Dry Dreams* album.  Allen's
¦contributions on guitar and/or keyboards can also be found on some of
¦Patti Smith's albums (including her *Easter* album on the track "Space
¦Monkey"; and her 1975 *Horses* album on the tracks "Kimberly" and
¦"Elegie", which Allen also co-wrote), on John Cale's album, *Music For
¦a New Society*, and on Amy Kanter's 1982 release, *Other Girl*.  Allen
¦was used often by Sandy Pearlman as a studio musician in the 70's,
¦playing on albums by the Dictators, Shakin' Street, Pavlov's Dog, and
¦The Clash -- not all of these appearances are credited, or are credited
¦to the name "Allen Glover".  In addition, Jim Carroll has a spoken-word
¦performance ("Nightclubbing") on a Sony Compilation album titled *Home
¦Alive*, in which Allen provides guitar accompaniment.

¦     The line "Jim says some destinies should not be delivered", in the
¦song "In Thee" refers to Jim Carroll.  As previously mentioned, Jim
¦Carroll and Allen Lanier collaborated on several songs, including the
¦song "Day And Night", which appeared on Carroll's *Catholic Boy* album.
¦The song contains the line "Some destinies, they should not be
¦delivered".
"I was corrupt before I had power!" - Random