OFF: Way off, Richard Meltzer

Albert T Bouchard ir004728 at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Jul 14 00:01:54 EDT 1999

>> From:          theo:

>only to overshadow subsequent work?  So, is the greatness of the
>first 3 due to RM/SP's participation, or simply the band was at a
>creative peak?  We need to call upon Al to offer an opinion here...

I posted my journal at one time on the tBS aol board regarding the creation
of ST (my journals for the first two albums were lost) and it was
surprising to me how much interaction there was in the creation of the
arrangements. Nearly everyone (in the band PLUS Sandy and Murray, but not
Meltzer) contributed to the arrangements of the most popular tunes -
Dominance, ME262, Telepaths, Subhuman. There was much less of that as time
went on.

>their fingers.  At one point, they were at the top of the heavy music
>heap, now:  where are they now!  Again, Al's insight would tell us
>volumes...

All the people in the band (including Joe and me) have an outlet for their
creativity. Pearlman does not. Meltzer does, however, with poetry redings,
books and CDs, so I think he's just being critical because that's his
nature. His writing has always been dense but seems to be getting less so.
I really liked his book, The Night (Alone) - read it twice. His choice of
language is more important than the content. He comes from the
post-modernist school that takes as a given that all writing is lies. Only
through the broad horizon and unconscious can you discover bits of truth.