jim carroll (was: BOC: In Thee Lyrics)

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 14 13:01:05 EDT 1999

In a message dated 7/14/99 5:43:58 AM, nick at THECAMPUS.COM writes:

<<> Anyone ever hear any of JC's stuff?  Saw him live a long time ago,
> and he played the unforgettable 'People Who Died."  That song alone
> would be worth picking up one of his discs...
>
> theo
===========
 cant follow you here, mistah T. gomen nasai
===========

"People Who Died" can be found on Jim Carroll's "Catholic Boy" album,
which also includes a song collaboration and an appearance (On keys,
I think) by Alan. Not on that particular song, though. That's pretty
much all I know about Jim Carroll. Started watching "Basketball
Diaries" once, but I really didn't like it.

--  Nick

==============>>
never saw the movie...thought the book was ok when i was about 14...
carroll did 3 lp's, i think, w/"catholic boy" being the first, and "people
who died" being the "fm airplay cut".
"people who died" is an uptempo rockin' 12 bar wherein carroll sings the
whole thing through twice, so you get that annoying "people who died" refrain
half a dozen times.
to the xtent it received airplay, it woulda been for the same reason talking
heads' "psycho killer" got commercial fm airplay when it was new: its title.

IMHO jim carroll-as- rock-star was farcical and a bit too presumptuous on his
part.
but i'm also privy to a reliable anecdote (which i think i've used here
before ) wherein carroll speaks from the stage of how "clean" he now was, and
following the show, heads straight for his "nod"...

at least johnny thunders didnt lie to the audience about it...(did he? they
probably woulda laughed )

"<>"