HW: Books About Hawkwind

Wed Jul 14 17:28:36 EDT 1999

Hmm - this started me going through my old scrapbook (well, photocopies of a
net-friend's scrapbook actually).  Some of these will no doubt end up on the
hawkwind.com site; but one that might be of interest I'll type out here and
now.  From Melody Maker's "Any Questions" page, 5th February 1972.

---
Q. How did Hawkwind get their name and how do they define their music? -
Robert A. Wingate, Malvern.

A. Well, it all started as a joke, because Nik Turner has a prominent
proboscis and suffers from indigestion!  But really it goes a lot deeper
than that, because we're all deeply involved in ancient mythology and
numerology.  The hawk represents a winged god in Egyptian mythology and is a
symbol of strength and power in Pagan mythology.  It is a dominating bird of
prey, with a strong spirit, travelling on the wind.  The title is also
connected with Hawkmoon, a character devised by famous science-fantasy
writer Michael Moorcock, in his story of the runestaff, an ancient staff
with great powers of good.  All our names and the title Hawkwind have
powerful influences when worked out in numerology.  We play
extra-terrestrial music, in which we try to get the audience involved.
Participation creates energy and through the energy it is possible to make
experiments.  We are working on all kinds of sound developments, because
sound has different points which can either make you feel good or bad.  It's
a matter of getting them sorted out. - DAVE BROCK, Hawkwind.
---

--Andy