BOC-L Digest - 16 Jul 1999 to 17 Jul 1999

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Mon Jul 19 08:28:42 EDT 1999

> I have just found a BOC CD called Revisited from 1996 - the review
> states that:
>
> Blue Oyster Cult's Revisited is a collection of re-recordings of such
> songs as (Don't Fear) the Reaper, Godzilla, Transmaniacon MC, Hot
> Rails to Hell and In Thee. The performances are competent, but never
> distinctive, making this of marginal interest even to hardcore fans.
> ( Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All-Music Guide)
>
> Has anyone got this? Is this 're-recordings' in the same way as Cult
> Classic or is this just another bog-standard compilation?

I have it -- it's a Sony compilation slapped together a year after
Workshop of the Telescopes came out -- no re-recordings, no
re-mastering.  See the FAQ for a track listing and misc. info.

> Does anyone know a reliable source for the St. Cecilia album on CD?

Well, there are no "official" St. Cecilia CDs.  There is a CD floating
around called "Dharma for Buck" - rumor has it that it may be an actual
boot, but there are apparently a number of CD-R copies around -- I see
this title being auctioned off on Ebay (www.ebay.com) fairly frequently,
and going for up to around $50.  I'm working to get my hands on one, and
will provide more info if I do.  This CD was originally produced by
someone who is not very familiar with the band -- the track titles are
all wrong (e.g. "Kilburn County", "Nope is What I Hope", and others),
but also includes some live BOC tracks from '75/'76 (presumably off of a
King Biscuit broadcast or two).

The "St. Cecilia" bootleg vinyl has the correct titles, and does not
have the live BOC tracks, but rather has 3 tracks recorded by the
Stalk-Forrest Group some time in between the recording of the actual
Elektra demo and the first official BOC album.

When I get the FAQ updated, more of this will be explained it there.

John