OT: Spinrad on SDI

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Jul 19 18:28:17 EDT 1999

Not quite completely off-topic, since Norm Spinrad provided the name for
one of Hawkwind's instrumentals ("The Iron Dream").  I've admired the guy
for his politics as well as his writing, so I was quite psyched to see this
article by him about the American "Star Wars" Strategic Defense Initiative
(and the American sci-fi writer who helped encourage it):

http://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/en/1999/07/?c=14star

BTW, his book, 'The Iron Dream' is a fantasic parody of Nazism AND pulp
sci-fi that obviously strives to point out the inherent fascism in a lot of
(especially 50s-era) science fiction.  (It's a book-within-a-book written
by one German emigre named "Adolph Hitler", who is as bad an author as he
was a watercolorist, during the Soviet-dominated 1950s during which Europe
came under the communist sway ... a bizarre combination of
eugenic/fascist/barely-repressed homoerotic fantasies; highly recommended.)