Off: Jim Carroll/John Peel

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Tue Jul 20 05:32:09 EDT 1999

At 17:05 19/07/99 +0100, Jill wrote:
>Chris Warburton writes:
>
>>Top of the Pops deejay John Peel is curled up on a Jacobean sidetable;
>>=============================================
>> Spot the deliberate mistake (just kidding): I'm pretty sure that Peel
>> didn't have anything to do with TOTP until sometime in the post-punk
>> period.
>
>Can't swear to this but John Peel definitely had an extremely interesting
>Sunday evening (I think) radio show in 1971 (I was listening to it at
>school so it must have been then)

At this time, I think JP was on Saturday afternoons, the Sunday evening
slot after the chart show and before Radio1 surrendered to R2 was Pete
Drummond.

>and my suspicion is that all the Radio1 DJs were required to do television
>ToTP sessions in rotation so folk could see what they looked like so I think
>it was unavoidable that he would have had appear at least once, and
>probably more than that.
>
>Could be wrong tho'.

I'm pretty sure that the "underground" DJs were exempted i.e. those who
presented "Sounds of the Seventies"(?) Mon-Fri 18:00-19:00 (incl.
"Whispering" Bob, Mike Harding (not the folk singer), Alan Black, poss.
Annie Nightingale), the aforementioned Drummond and Peel.  IIRC, Drummond &
Harding got TV exposure as alternating presenters of "Disco 2" (I kid you
not!) the predecessor to "The Old Grey Whistle Test".

>I have wierd TV memories - like I'm sure I
>remember Hawkwind appearing on the Old Grey Whistle test - but that
>MUST be wrong so I dunno what I'm remembering there!

I cannot confirm or repudiate this, it's not impossible, but I don't
remember ever seeing the Hawks on OGWT.  I do remember Can just
playing...and playing...and playing until they just had to fade the end of
the program, and Randy California being so bombed out of his skull that he
couldn't play, or even mime.

But I think that's enough reminiscence for now....

ChrisW