OFF: A different type of tape swap

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Thu Jul 22 17:17:57 EDT 1999

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Christopher Bruce wrote:

=> MPEG Layer 3 it is then. Just curious, what esoteric system ARE you running...
=> an abacus or a Thinking Machine...just wondering, I have to work on Sun, NT,
=> and Mac at work, plus the 4CPU Alpha server, and RA has got around to all but
=> the Sun. It still sucks bandwidth, though.

Speaking of Thinking Machines, I do use an Intel Paragon occasionally :-)
(100+ CPU multiprocessor system populated with i860s), but my desktop
machine is a DEC 3000/500S (DEC 21064 CPU) running Digital Unix 4.0D.
I just looked on the RealAudio site again for players, but Digital Unix
was not supported (though Sun Solaris and SunOS for Sun was).  (Even our
AIX boxes here---all of which are decked out with sound cards---are not
supported.)

As for my own home system, I have a DECstation 3100 (MIPS R2000 CPU) and
headless turbochannel DEC 3000/300LX (DEC 21064 alpha CPU), both of
which were bought at surplus auctions.  (Reduce, reuse, recycle!;)

Nuthin' esoteric; just devoid of Intel x86 and Micro$oft... ;-)

We do have some Windoze (NT and 95) machines in our lab here, but they
are inconvenient to use (i.e., you can't use them remotely).  (They tend
to crash a lot, too.)

Cheers,

Paul.

NP: Hawkwind, _Dawn of Hawkwind_