OFF: A different type of tape swap

Dave Greenhalgh d.greenhalgh at VIRGIN.NET
Thu Jul 22 20:25:00 EDT 1999

Christopher Bruce wrote:

> Hi Dave,
> You have it a little sideways, but that is the basic problem, however, if you
> set it up right and everyone experiences their own playing delayed(this takes
> some getting used to) as well as the overall mix,

Yep,  it's that delay thing that got me.  Playing through a delay set 100% effected is
something I can deal with, at least the delay is constant.  When we tried on-line jams a
while ago it was in the UK on 33.6 Modems using a combination of virgin, AOL and demon as
the ISPs.  Only the guys on demon got anything like a constant delay.  The rest of us got
breaks in transmission and essentially random delays.

I haven't tried it for a while, though but it seems to me that the net has got slower so
unless it all runs through the same ISP ...  I don't know, I'm not a networks expert!!  I
have another ISP local here with ISDN.  Maybe try that over the weekend,  but Japanese
traffic levels are huge and the ISDN drop out rate is worse that the phone-line connection
that I use to Telnet into Virgin!

> Especially on Macs

Is there any other machine for music <g>

MP3 was a bit esoteric!
--
Dave Greenhalgh

ICQ#33513470