OFF: A different type of tape swap

niko.makila at NOKIA.COM niko.makila at NOKIA.COM
Fri Jul 23 07:28:50 EDT 1999

> From: EXT Paul Mather [mailto:paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU]
>
> Nuthin' esoteric; just devoid of Intel x86 and Micro$oft... ;-)

Hey x86's not that bad!  The bad thing is that no-one has written an OS that
uses the more sophisticated features (maybe because they're too slow...).
I'll admit that i860's are in some ways even more interesting though.

> We do have some Windoze (NT and 95) machines in our lab here, but they
> are inconvenient to use (i.e., you can't use them remotely).

Check out http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/ which claims to work on Win
(95, NT and CE), Mac, and several UNIXen.

Sometimes it seems that someone has already invented anything you can think
of.

        //niko

ObCD: tBS, Eponymous