BADAM Bad News thanks to Derbyshire C***stabulary

Jill jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sat Jul 24 19:17:06 EDT 1999

Marie Jenkinson wrote:

> This is the situation as I understand it regarding BADAM:
>
> The festival licence was revoked late on Thursday night by Derbyshire
> Constabulary regarding ' environmental and health and safety' issues. They
> managed to convince the local magistrate to stop the festival knowing that
> there was no time for BADAM organisers to appeal.

Perhaps I'm being naive here but it seems to me that the constabulary
have only made matters worse by revoking the licence so close to the
event - how on earth are the organisers going to be able to let folk
know in time?   We here are fortunate to get this news through the net
but what about those who can't? The advertising posters have been
distributed for ages - what about people who were planning to come and
buy tickets at the gate?    How can they possibly be warned in advance
that it's been cancelled?    Surely, surely a Buxton full of indignant
folk who have already made holiday plans, possibly booked accommodation,
have bought travel tickets that only allow you to travel on certain
days, are maybe even coming from abroad and who arrive to discover that
there is no festival is going to be FAR more problematic than policing a
crowd of folk who come to enjoy some music for a couple of days and go
home again afterwards.

Am I being too pesimistic?  But I really really hope the constabulary
have someone on hand at the station to explain the situation to what I
suspect will be a largish number of people who are going to turn up
ignorant of the cancellation - and it is going to take a fair amount of
explaining!

My sympathies to the organisers and good luck with getting something
sorted.

jill

Jill Strobridge <jill at theta-orionis.freeserve.co.uk> or
J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk