OFF: Spacehead

Mark Lee MLee at ESPARTO.ORG
Tue Jul 27 10:16:33 EDT 1999

As promised, a somewhat better idea of what occured on
Friday the 23rd at The Flowerpot in Derby.

17:00 - arrived and started setting up drum kit and stuff with
occasional breaks for cobs and beer, well it is a pub.

Dibs arrives at 18:15 ish with gruesome tidings concerning
the fate of BADAM - a break ensues for mutual grumbles etc.

After soundcheck its off we go for more beer while Dr Hasbeen
get the crowd going - the set went great, the sound was A1 and
Mary did the biz with the lights as usual. pretty good response
from the crowd - only about 40 in but they enjoyed it.

22:30 - Spacehead take the stage

Set list

Intro/Dark Star/Outro
Ape to Human
Aliens
Visitations
Waves Pt.1/Aero Pharoahs/Waves Pt.2
Monolith
Bone Power
Aerospaceage Inferno
Planetscapes
Intro/Iwill be the Sun
Astroman
Sona #23
Where Are They Now
We are the Future

Dibs was in great voice and really gave it some welly, I've not heard
him sound this good for the last few gigs I've seen, tonight he was
superb. Graham threw in some really excellent work on lead and
the was ably supported by a throbbing drum line, my only complaint
was that Graham didn't do any violin work, he said he preffered not too
anyway as a general rule, partlt because it takes a while to get a good
setup with the PA to work it well.

Sadly the bar closed at 11:45 and the barstaff decided to leave the room
with all the lights up part way through We Are The Future, Dibs had timed
the set to perfection and should have finished at exactly midnight with
Odyssey, owing to the lighting he left the track out - shame really, it's
the first Spacehead track I ever heard and still my favourite.

We were shunted fairly quickly out of the building owing to the manageress
being a tad upset about the number of people smoking in the room, fair does
really, it's her license - but a bit of a bummer when youve got 30 minutes
and 7 guys gear to clear away.

In the end it was a most excellent night - looking forward to seeing Dibs
get some bigger venues and large PA so he can really rock out, he hinted
that there would be a more full-scale tour later this year and some European
dates were planned for that.

Anyway, enough waffle, Mr Dibs is going to be at Pentrich running a stall
for a friend, maybe a good place to meet, apart from the beer tent, I'm
trying to sort out early departure from work so I can get there, and of course
some transport would be nice. Ah well, have a nice day y'all.

Mark.
Please reply to       mark at esparto.org