HW: NIK: Nik's flute playing

Thomas Guy Guy.Thomas at LONDON.ENTOIL.COM
Wed Jul 28 09:40:07 EDT 1999

I was just playing Jethro Tull's "Bursting Out - Live",  and there is an
instumental flute piece,(sorry - I can't recall the Tull track title) which
is identical to Nik's "King" track, from his "Space Ritual" CD a few years
back.

Then of course, I realised that "Serenade",  also from Space Ritual, is the
same song as "Serenade to a Cuckoo", from Tull's first LP, "This Was".
Obviously, the flute is the main point in both theses songs.  I am rather a
fan of Tull, but I also love Nik's flute playing too. I suspect that Nik may
be a Tull admirer too. I think Nik's flute playing is far superior to his
sax playing - Maybe it's because he has to concentrate more on it, as the
flute isn't second nature to him , (whilst sax is), - hence less chance to
wander off in a musical tangent blasting out any old noise!

One of my HW highlights is "Solitary Mind Games" with Nik playing flute,
from the 1982 "Choose Your Masques" tour. I think I've got a tape somewhere,
of Chippenham from that tour, which isn't bad quality at all - must dig it
out and give it another listen!

(Kris - didn't you dance with the band for the first time on the 1982 tour?)

Ah - such fond memories!

Guy T.