BOC: Concert bills

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Wed Jul 28 18:48:03 EDT 1999

At 14:44 28/07/99 EDT, "<>" wrote:
>In a message dated 7/28/99 9:55:35 AM, jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK
writes:

><<        Motorhead's first ever gig was in support of Blue Oyster Cult...
>How times have changed. This was the Lemmy-Wallis-Fox line-up and
>apparently it went very badly wrong. I have also heard it contained a
>fifteen minute `Silver Machine' but this may just be Motormyth.
>Hammersmith Odeon, according to the sleeve notes in _On Parole_. Yours,
>

>actually wasnt the first motohaid gig in '75 opening for hawkwind? the gig
>which began with an xcerpt from ==koff== a hitler speech? i've got it; it
>didnt go so wrong aside from that opening...dunno about 15 minutes of "silver
>machine" but they did play it; also the velvet underground's "i'm waiting for
>the man"...
>so if anyone ever asks 'what's the one cover song which the yardbirds,
>motorhead, and hawkwind have in common?' the latter song be it.

Hmmm,
I'm sure that the BÖC support was reported as being Motörhead's debut in
the press, and maybe even in the advertising.  Certainly the reviews that I
read were less than complimentary, "they sucked" pretty much sums up the
reportage.  By the time I first saw them (Fast Eddie/Philthy version) at
Burton's 76 Club (a venue about twice the size of a middle class US
suburban living room) they were storming.  I reckon this was the first gig
that I ever went to that could be described as having a mosh-pit. The small
dance-floor seething with head-banging/slam-dancing/pogoing loonies; the
rest of the audience pinned to the walls by the noise level and looking on
in horrified fascination.  Probably the loudest experience of my life.

ChrisW
Still with some vestige of hearing
"a cynic is a man who when he smells flowers looks around for a coffin" -
Bierce