BOC: Concert bills

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Jul 29 08:04:37 EDT 1999

> From:          Torgo Sedler <drtorgo at HOTMAIL.COM>

> (to this day I still don't know who the fark BE BOP DELUXE is or what they
> do...... or don't do) and that BOC was so great that they ended up booing Be
> Bop Deluxe off the stage and BOC came back out and played. I have NO IDEA if
> this is true or not but that's the story that was told to my pimply teenage
> face.
>
> So, if it's true, at one time BOC and BE BOP DELUXE were on the same Concert
> bill.

Be Bop Deluxe were a hell of a band back then.  Bill Nelson's an
amazing gtrst.  He went thru a fallow period during the 80s where he
was doing a bunch of new age sounding shit.  I'm told he's back to
playing killer gtr, but haven't heard any of his recent stuff.  If
you can get a copy, listen to Modern Music or Life in the Air Age.  2
exc. BBD albums...

I'm virtually positive that BOC never opened up for B-BD, but since
Torgo and I are from the same general geographical location, I think
I can relate another story of a concert his friend might have been
thinking of.  At a concert in Utica, BOC opened for BTO!  BOC just
leveled the place, and half the crowd left after BOC!  The people who
remained pretty much heckled the shit out of BTO [me included, big
fucking surprise!]  I eventually left, so I don't know if BTO left
and BOC came back.  If that's the case, then I f-ed up royally!  I do
know that BTO were totally bummed up there on stage.  As for BBD, the
crowd at Utica were decent to them as BOC openers, and BBD kicked
ass.  One hell of a show...

> Also, it has been written that.....
>
> ---I thought Leslie West was dead.---
>
> A few years ago BOC played "Fireworks over central NY", a big deal up here
> in the unwashed reaches of the Empire State. This year the lineup is
> headlined by FOGHAT, LOVERBOY, and MOUNTAIN (featuring Leslie West).

No shit!  Are you sure 'bout that Torgo?  I'd heard of all the other
bands, but not Mountain.  BTW, Derek Trucks Band is also on the bill.
 Worth going just for that, I'd say.  But if Leslie's gonna be there,
then I've got to go fo sure...

 Ok, so
> from what I heard FOGHAT looks like cadavers propped up on stage these days.

Howls!  Like the dead El Cid lashed to his horse!

> And I still can't forgive Canada for selling us Loverboy,

Hmm...I can think of another reason to be pissed at Canada!

 but I would kinda
> like to see Mr. West play live. Still 50/50 on the whole Fireworks thing.
> Theo, you going? Brian? Crow?

You know it bro!  The fireworks is usually boffo, but it's such a zoo
in the parking lot afterwards that I'm tempted to skip the fireworks
part.  I may have trouble getting a ride, but if I can work that out,
then for sure I'm going...

theo