BOC: Concert bills

Michael R Godwin hssmrg at BATH.AC.UK
Thu Jul 29 13:20:46 EDT 1999

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
>         Motorhead's first ever gig was in support of Blue Oyster Cult...
> How times have changed. This was the Lemmy-Wallis-Fox line-up and
> apparently it went very badly wrong. I have also heard it contained a
> fifteen minute `Silver Machine' but this may just be Motormyth.
> Hammersmith Odeon, according to the sleeve notes in _On Parole_. Yours,

I was at that one. The audience just wanted BOC to take the stage, and
this unknown threepiece appeared and started to play very loud guitars,
with inaudible vocals. There was a mass exodus (including me) to the bar,
where people stood about gawping at Bob Geldof, who is really very tall.
Even in the bar, the sound level of Motorhead was quite high.

This was in pre-laser show days, and Eric had these firecrackers strapped
to his fingers which exploded during (IIRC) Flaming Telepaths. Great! The
next time I saw BOC, he had replaced this with a laser finger ring which
shot a beam up at a mirror ball (as seen on the cover of 'Spectres').

- Mike Godwin

PS The member of Mountain who died was founder, bass-player and ex-Cream
producer Felix Pappalardi, who was (I believe) stabbed to death by his
partner, co-lyricist and Mountain album-sleeve designer Gail Collins.