BOC: Concert bills

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Jul 29 15:10:06 EDT 1999

Wow!  What a thread ... I am sooooo jealous of some of you "geezers" ...
just a few things to add:

Of the two US tours that Dio-era Black Sabbath did, one was the "Black and
Blue" tour, and the other had the Ramones (!!!) as support.  There's a
famous picture of the audience on that tour with some guy with a shag
haircut wearing a "Kill a Punk for Rock and Roll" t-shirt.  Sort of ironic
that ten years later a bunch of bands from Seattle that were influenced by
both Black Sabbath and the Ramones were the musical trend du jour.

Was it 'Melody Maker' that referred to Motorhead as "the greatest worst
band in the world" (or something like that) after the debut(?) show where
they supported BOC?  I'd love to see that clipping.

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 19:05:14 +0100, Jonathan Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
>        Having heard Mr. Wallis guitarring on tracks like `I Wish I Was A
>Girl', I can believe he could have hung it out for fifteen minutes... He
>can play a bit... What did he do after the Pink Fairies and then Motorhead
>Mk 1 went to the wall in 1976? I know he's on some Deviants stuff but I
>don't know, and presumably he hasn't spent the rest of his life sessioning
>for Mick Farren, Vampires or no Vampires.

Larry spent the late 70s producing punk bands (Wreckless Eric, The Adverts)
for Stiff records.  Then Motorhead got big, and he spent a few years living
off the royalties from 'On Parole'.  He was briefly in a band called the
Redbirds in the late 80s/early 90s (after the ill-fated 'Kill em and Eat
em' Pink Fairies reunion ... I see that Andy already covered some of this -
oops).  Some of this is covered in an EXCELLENT interview he did with
Forced Exposure magazine back in '87 or so.  Good insight on how he sorta
screwed himself by quitting both UFO and Motorhead out of frustration
shortly before each got big.  And yeah, the soloing on 'I Wish I Was A
Girl' (and "When's the Fun Begin?') is excellent.

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com