OFF: GONG in LA, 6/2/99

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Jun 3 15:13:07 EDT 1999

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 16:18:43 +0100, J Strobridge <eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK>
wrote:

>Dave Berry writes:
>> At 09:04 03/06/99 EDT, Chuck Rosenberg wrote:
>> >I've been listening to Gong for about 4 years and never knew what the
>> >hell a "glissando" guitar was. Also, there was a sound I heard in Gong
which
>> >I thought was a synth. Well, now I know it was the gliss; he just rubs
this
>> >whammy-bar shaped thing against the strings...

The guitar signal also needs to be running through some sort of delay
(either analog or digital will work); this is a very fun technique!

>> Dave does that for HW, too.
>
>Looks to me just like one of those Made In Sheffield, tin-plated
>dinner table knives - the type that are so blunt you can't even cut
>vegetables with.     But I'm just gazing at a rather blurry video so
>I've no idea in honesty!

Fortunately, in the US, one inevitably gets to see Hawkwind up close and
personal in fairly small clubs.  Indeed, Dave has always appeared to favor
cheap flatware for this purpose.  I was raiding the silverware drawer and
cranking up the delay the day after I first saw Hawkwind (fall '89) and saw
how Glissando Guitar works!

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com