FAO Kris re HW: Edinburgh Concert

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Jun 16 10:17:56 EDT 1999

XXX writes:

> > By the way, do you  (or anyone on the list) live in Edinburgh? If so has
> > there been any advertising for a  concert/event  around the 27th August
> > under Edinburgh Castle, with Ken Kesey (Merry Pranksters), Paul McCartney
> > and the original line up of Hawkwind? we have been approached to do it
> and
> > it is supposed to be a large confirmed event. If this is so it should
> have
> > been publicised by now. Can anyone tell us if they have seen any
> > advertising?

> > Thanks

> > Kris

I've done a little asking around about this. Ken Kesey was at last years
Edinburgh Festival at the invite of a theatre company called FLUX. This
year FLUX have a venue in the Grassmarket and also the Ross Bandstand
in Princes Street Gardens. They tend towards the more underground sort
of bands and so it seems reasonably likely that it may be FLUX who have
been in touch with you.

As far as advertising goes, I doubt that any of the Festival or Fringe
stuff is out yet. What happens is that the Fringe release a programme
booklet which simply lists the events over the whole month with a one
line review for each. The Festival have their own booklet. Some of the
larger venues and companies also release their own programme. The Gilded
Ballon Theatre, The Assembly Rooms, the Pleasance, and FLUX are amongst
these. During the month itself there are Daily Diary sheets which list
all events on that day. Otherwise publicity amounts to people flyposting
and dropping ads around the pubs, clubs and cafes. Just about everywhere
gets a mountain of paper each day as volunteers and folks working for
the venues, as well as the actors and strolling players themselves
leaflet the entire centre of Edinburgh.

The best publicity is reckoned to be a good review in The Scotsman, The
Glasgow Herald, or the Grauniad.  I guess this probably means buttering
up reviewers with free tickets or something.  I do drink with the SF
reviewer for The Scotsman and I'm sure having heard me witter about
Hawkwind for years, he could be persuaded along.  Better still, offer
him an interview.  Otherwise I'd guess that having volunteers do
leafletting would be a sound plan.  Since we know Hawkwind fans in both
Edinburgh and Glasgow, volunteers shouldn't be a problem.

The upshot is that as yet there hasn't been any publicity, not would it
really be expected until next month.  The word is that FLUX are very
reliable though.

Having Hawkwind play the Ross Bandstand would be truly amazing. Having a
reunion with ex-hawks and the Ken & Babs duo would be outstanding.
Anyone got any old "Can You Pass The Acid Test?" posters?

If you can give me more details, I could try to find out more.

Give me a call on 0131-668-3287 if you like.

Cheers

Mike (FoFP)