HW: Covers All Questions

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Jun 16 20:44:41 EDT 1999

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 01:05:55 +0100, Jonathan Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
>        Dear All,
>                  two questions that list of covers sparked in my mind:
> Secondly, on what albums are all
>these ST37 HW covers, and are they still obtainable? In fact, does anyone
>know where I might find a decent ST37 discography?

ST37's only "officially" released Hawkwind covers are:
"The Watcher" on the 'Assassins of Silence' tribute CD/double LP (Ceres)
"Orgone Accumulator" on 'Spaceage' (Black Widow)

ST37's cassettes are:
'Billygoat Nothinghead' C30 (SPASMS)
'Feature Silica Vicarious' C45 (SPASMS)
'From Space With Love' C45 (SPASMS)
'Dimensions Give Quiet (Imaginary Soundtracks)' C45 (SPASMS)
'John Deere Isolation Tank' C90 (Blue circle)

ST37's singles are:
"Look At Your Chair"/"Pumpkin Face" 7" (OverAndOut)
"Taboo Down Under"/"(Don't Need No) Hoodoo Woman" 7" (Noiseville UK)
"Crab Nebula"/"The Gypsy's Kiss" 7" (Prospective/Susstones)

ST37's albums are:
'The Invisible College' CD (OverAndOut)
'Glare' dbl-LP (Electric Jug/Helter Skelter, Italy)
'Derobe' split LP w/Voco Kesh (RRR)
'Spaceage' CD/LP+7" (Black Widow, Italy)
'Secret Society' LP (Lost)

They've also appeared on numerous compilations and tributes (including
those to David Bowie and Brian Eno) ... and they have a fifth album in the
can that's probably their best yet (I've heard the final mix already)!
Hopefully their soundtrack recording for Fritz Lang's 'Metropolis' will
also be released sometime soon.

The other Hawkwind covers I've heard by them ("Death Trap", "Assault &
Battery"/"Golden Void" and an alternate version "The Watcher" with an
extended acoustic guitar introduction) were put on the copy of 'Dimensions
Give Quiet' that I ordered from the band - each copy of that cassette (an
edition of 37 copies, not sure if it's sold out) has a unique set of bonus
tracks on it - those were mine!

The band, as well as their Blue Circle cassette label (trivia question: to
what does the label name refer?) can be contacted at P.O. Box 4962 /
Austin, TX 78765.  It looks like this summer, instead of driving up to Ohio
for Strange Daze, they're flying out to San Francisco for several Bay Area
shows during the last week of July - I'll be at all of them!

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com