HW: Eclipse 99

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Jun 21 11:14:00 EDT 1999

Scott Heller writes:

> I was just checking up on the Eclipse in Cornwall on August 11th. I hope
> that HW have it all arranged nicely for us who are traveling in, because
> there are loads of sites warning about lack of accomidations because there
> are like 5 music festivals in the area because of the event and camping
> space,etc is said to be limited and mostly booked up already and forget
> about getting a hotel room...

Last I heard from someone who lives under the line of totality in Devon
(my Mum) she was telling me how angry and upset the local campsite
owners and hotel owners are.   Apparently the warnings have been taken
literally and not only is no-one booking into the area for the eclipse
itself but normal holiday bookings for August are WAY down as well.
And I was watching on telly how some farmer had planned to convert a
barn on his campsite area into a viewing and exhibition area but is
having to scrap the idea because no-one is coming!

It's possible everyone is waiting to see what the weather forecast is
likely to be before heading down that way but at the moment Devon and
Cornwall sound as if they are going to be half empty!

jill

ObTravelRecommendation> If you are flying in try to land at either
Plymouth (or Exeter) or Bristol regional airports - this will save
you a 3 or 4 hour journey by rail from London.  If you have to fly into
London then try and land at one of the terminals to the SW of London and
take the airport bus straight to Reading.   All trains from London to
the West Country go through Reading and, again, it'll save you several
hours travel into the city center.
J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk