OFF: Melting Euphoria and Hamburgers

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Jun 24 09:17:52 EDT 1999

Chuck asked...

>To place under the recent Where Are They Now file, what of ME these
>days??
>Inside the Gardens of the Mind came out in '97, so it's about that time.
>
>Space-rock, I might guess, is an especially difficult profession for an
>American group--the musicians of which might end up having to do the
>proverbial hamburger flippin' thing (unless they succumb to some form of
>techno or "electronica"). I'd hate to hear that Michael Merrill, Anthony
>Who? and company have donned the ol' apron and paper-hat.

In addition to Chris B.'s info, I also heard that their demise was imminent.
I think the situation is that two of the members have moved east (perhaps
even to Boston IIRC...Chris should know).  But I think they have one more
album due on their contract with Cleo.  So perhaps we should expect a finale
in the next year as a posthumous release.

In one sense, it'll be sorry to see them go, but four (or five) albums of
similar style is enough for me.  And I got to see them perform live at SD'98
(although it wasn't the most inspired performance).  So hopefully they'll
move on to new and different projects.  San Fran is a very vital town and
I'm sure we'll see these names (or perhaps their real names) appear again in
the future.

>Disclaimer: Of course I'm not dissing the current US space/psyche scene,
>which seems darn good, partly thanks to AI, et. al. (insert your name if
>you're reading).

Thanks for the plug.  Include Bob Lennon/Kevin Sommers, Dane Carlson and
Adam Strider certainly.  And of course, the musicians themselves.  Rather
important ingredient you might say.  :)

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  Oh, and news of Escapade's demise is premature.  I guess there was a
communication error between Jim L. and one of the members (also in another
band....Oranj something) about playing at SD'99.  Escapade wasn't ever
supposed to be on the bill I guess.  But the Oranj band will be.  I think
Jerry will put something in the next AI to clear up the situation.

P.P.S.  Originally, the SD'99 lightshows were advertised as Solar Fire and
whatever Tribe of Cro's was called.  I guess ToC is not bringing theirs over
now, and so Rob Jacobs (Midnite Sun) will do his thing on Sat. night with
Nik/Farflung, and Jim will probably do lights Fri. night for ToC.  That's my
guess anyway.

P.P.P.S.  Oh, ToC will be doing other shows around the country (probably
only the eastern half...sorry out west folks), as they have two weeks
between their performance at SD'99 (8/20) and ProgDay '99 (Labor Day wkd. in
North Carolina). So far, I know they will play here in Columbus (at Little
Brothers w/ Quarkspace) and also Chicago.  I think I heard something about
Philly as well.

ObCD:  Faust - Ravvivando