BOC, TBS: Info for the "new guy"

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Fri Jun 25 08:29:22 EDT 1999

Welcome to BOC-L Don!  I see you're already making yourself right at
home here - I thought I'd throw in a bunch of semi-random bits of
information that you may not be aware of (I'm good for that sort of thing):

1.  First of all, I assume you know of BOC's latest album, *Heaven
Forbid*?  Released in 1998, it's their first studio effort in 10 years -
time and personnel changes in the band have given a bit of a different
sound that, oh, say *Secret Treaties* (which seems to be the benchmark
album for most BOC fans), but most fans (myself included) really like it
-- check it out - you won't miss it in the racks if it's there - the
cover is, uh, "eye-catching" at any rate (some don't like it - others
think its cool).  Notable tracks to check out are the opening cut, "See
You in Black" (with a strong Metallica feel to it), the more
classic-sounding "Harvest Moon" (which sounds like it could have been on
*Spectres*), and "Damaged".

2.  For a true sense of information overload on BOC, check out the BOC
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions about BOC) - I'm the editor, and the FAQ
basically came about after lots of discussions on this very forum
expressing the need for such a document.  It's probably somewhat
overkill in terms of what this list was originally looking for, but
after I started it, it sort of took on a life of its own.  At any rate,
you can find it at my website:

http://members.aol.com/bocfaqman

3.  As you may or may not know, former BOC drummer Albert Bouchard is a
member of this list.  These days he seems to be more of a lurker, but he
does drop in every now and then to answer questions, or give updates on
his current band, The Brain Surgeons.  If you have not heard tBS, I
highly recommend them!  They will be coming out with their *5th* CD in
the past 6 years - this one will be a double CD, entitled *Piece of
Work*, and due out around August.  For more info on the band, including
sound samples from their past albums, gig reviews, and info on ordering
their CDs, check out the following website:

http://members.aol.com/tbspostop

Also, if you have lots of questions for Albert along the lines of him
leaving BOC, I recommend you check the BOC FAQ for some of this info
first.  There's also lots of info their regarding *Imaginos* - a BOC
album that came out largely as a result of his efforts.

Well, that ought to hold you for the weekend - enjoy!

"Good Health to You",

John Swartz (aka "BOC FAQ MAN" -- bocfaqman at aol.com)