OFF: MP3 players et al

Mark Lee MLee at ESPARTO.ORG
Wed Jun 30 08:01:32 EDT 1999

At 05:01 30/06/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Date:     Wed, 30 Jun 1999 05:01:39 -0400
>Sender:   BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
>From:     Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
>From:    chris bates <c.d.bates at SHU.AC.UK>
>Subject: Re: OFF: Anti-piracy encryption article
>
>Brian Halligan <bthalligan at EARTHLINK.NET> writes:
>
>> June 29, 1999
>
>> SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The latest round of portable digital music players
will
>> soon be available in stores nationwide, equipped with security features
>> designed to prevent piracy, designers say.
>
>Isn't this nicely written. At first glance it appears to
>suggest that these features are there for our benefit. The
>music industry always argues that *piracy* is bad for listeners
>because it reduces sales and hence the amount of money that
>they can put into nurturing new talent like Steps. Of course
>most of their money (apart from that going up the noses
>of A and R men) goes into the established acts. Isn't it
>about time we had some new *product* from Phil Collins?
>
>> Members of the Secure Digital Music Initiative announced Monday they had
>> completed design specifications for the Walkman-like devices they claim
will
>> thwart online piracy.

How about us people who use assorted software to play music on our PeeCees ?
is this going to affect users of WinAmp and other stuff, there are
literally dozens
of packages that play an incredible range of formats, I can only assume
that there
will be millions of users who like myself copy CD's onto MO and play them
whilst
at work, anyway all ya gotta do is plug the phones output into your souncard
input and stream to disk !! I suspect the only way to make this work is to
'upgrade'
RIO's and the like so they ONLY play encrypted format files, or am I not
reading
this properly, and as the owner of copyright material I for one would fight
anything
that stops anybody getting my music by darned near any means they want !

[big snip for brevity]
.
.
.
[end snip]

>They can claim whatever they like 'cause new formats can be
>developed that their technology won't work against :-)

>So if I point a Web browser at CD Now and buy a few discs then
>according to this bozo I'm not buying on-line!! If anyone wants
>to become an *analyst* on technology matters they should foolw
>this simple 2 step procedure:
>   1. stick your head up your arse
>   2. talk only about subjects that you don't understand.

I've been getting paid for this for years :))))))) very interesting points
made there Chris

Cheers, Mark. (Who returneth to mid-lurk mode. . . Zzzzzzz)
Please reply to       mark at esparto.org